SCHOOL REOPENING DESIGN PLANNING TEAM MINUTES

Learners and Leaders Meeting Minutes (8/12/20) Schools Opening Planning/Design Team

  • Introduction

  • We discussed 3 Groups:
    Group 1: Blended learning (In school/Remote)

    ** This will also be divided in groups based on attendance (will be revised later) Group 2: 25%-35% of our students will be 100% Remote learning
    Group 3: 100% Remote learning

• Responsibilities of the Team and Individuals

Minutes-Angela & Katterina (back-up) Agenda-Lynn
Assignments at home-Stephanie Reaching out to school-Natalie Meeting with targeted groups-Natalie Time Manager-Francisca

Meetings are scheduled for Tuesday mornings at 8:00-10:00 a.m.
(the next meeting will be held Monday, August 17, 2020 at 8:00-10:00a.m.

Resources:

Guidance for Entry, Dismissal/Circulation and use of Public Assembly spaces in school building

Preparing for school year 2020-2021; instructional Principal and Programming guidance Fall 2020

4 Core Actions to Reduce spread of COVID
Social Emotional Support/ Culturally Responsive-sustaining education Attendance
Custodial Staff
Additional Resources

The Team agreed to start the focus on the following:

4 Core Actions to Reduce spread of COVID

  1. Face Mask

  2. Social Distancing

  3. Frequent Hand Washing

  4. Following the signs on the floors and throughout the school building

We were given tasks to come up with some suggestions to present these 4 Core Actions to the school community. It could be a visual, skits; flyer, school’s website, phone blasts, text message, class dojo, email, etc.

Suggestions: maybe we can assist parents with creating their own email address if they don’t have one. Invite Ken to our next meeting on: Monday, August 17, 2020.

Learners and Leaders Meeting Minutes (8/17/20) Schools Opening Planning/Design Team

Attendance: Lynn Botfeld, Lorraine Cruz, Francisca Garcia, Darryl Forde, Angela Kearney, Daniela Scuderi, Nashira Lynton, Carla Aman, Ken Spector, Sabrina Gisone, Nick Bologna, Katterina Reinoso, Carla Aman, Stephanie Santiago, Natalie Pignatero

  • Introduction/Review of minutes from 8/12/20

  • Amended minutes to include: Planning teaching children for large number of full-time

    students to start remote learning. (Approved by Team members)

    Group 1: Blended learning (In school/Remote)
    ** This will also be divided in groups based on attendance (will be revised later)

    Group 2: 25%-35% of our students will be 100% Remote learning Group 3: 100% Remote learning

• Responsibilities of the Team and Individuals

Minutes-Angela & Katterina (back-up) Agenda-Lynn
Assignments at home-Stephanie Reaching out to school-Natalie Meeting with targeted groups-Natalie Time Manager-Francisca

Next meeting will be held Tuesday, August 25, 2020 8:00-10a.m.

Focus:

4 Core Actions to Reduce spread of COVID

1. Face Mask
2. Social Distancing
3. Frequent Hand Washing
4. Following the signs on the floors and throughout the school building

**We were given the task to come up with some suggestions to present these 4 Core Actions to the school community. It could be a visual, skeets; flyer, school’s website, phone blasts, text message, class dojo, email, etc.

Suggestions:
Models: Create video, slide show, pictures that specify age-appropriate media according to grades, ways to greet kids,

Stephanie created a slide show re: social distancing
Angela discussed how she practiced with children wearing face masks (eating, playing)

What can the Team do?

  1. Create videos and other social media models for students to create

  2. Utilize CDC Guidelines and information when advocating how to do things, and trying to

    answer questions that the school community will ask.

Who will do what?

Sabrina- will focus on Mask
Stephanie -Slide Slow on Social Distancing
Carla and Lorraine-Hand washing & Social Distancing signs Katterina-Research CDC Guidance

Learners and Leaders Meeting Minutes (8/25/20) Schools Opening Planning/Design Team

Attendees: Lynn Botfeld, Nicholas Bologna, Sabrina Gisone, Natalie Giambra Pignatara, Katterina Reinoso, Stepanie Santiago, Kenneth Spector, Daniela Scuderi, Daniel Forde, Lorraine Cruz, Carla Aman and Angela Kearney

  • Introduction/Review of minutes from 8/12/20 and 8/17/20

  • Amended minutes to include: Attendees

  • Responsibilities of the Team and Individuals

    Review of Resources: Videos, slides, flyers

    Focus:

    4 Core Actions to Reduce spread of COVID

    1. Face Mask
    2. Social Distancing
    3. Frequent Hand Washing
    4. Following the signs on the floors and throughout the school building

    ⇓⇓

    Natalie shared handwashing video and slides showing how to communicate with peers and teachers.
    Lorraine shared video on all 4 Core Actions.
    Sabrina shared video on handwashing and face mask covering mouth and nose.

    Stephanie shared videos and slides showing the proper way to social distance. Carla shared stop the spread posters on the 4 Core Actions.
    Katterina shared CDC Presentation on stopping the spread.

    **Ken will upload all videos, slides and presentation to the school’s website and Instagram page.

    Arrival Procedures:

    200 Students signed up for remote learning.
    300 Students will be on a blended schedule (either once or twice a week). These 300 students will be divided between the two buildings with approximately 100 students a day in each building. (Group A, B, C)

    Group A-accounted for siblings to ensure they will receive the same schedule. Pre-K will be different

    Teachers will meet every morning whether at home or in school at: 7:40-8:10a.m.

The school day will begin at: 8:10a.m.

Social Distancing entering the school building in the morning:

Open Items⇓

How will students transition to their classroom in the morning? Do we hold students in an area?
Door monitors?
Stairs monitors?

Pod?
Staggering times? Entrances?

What we do know?

  • Teachers will not be picking up students (wait for them in the classrooms)

  • The students’ hands will be sanitized twice (1) enter building (2) exiting staircase

  • There will be random temperature checks

  • Breakfast carts will be on every floor

  • 15 minutes staggering times

  • Bathroom usage: 1 student at a time, door closed, assign staff to check bathrooms

  • There will be sign markers on the floors and in other areas in the buildings

    Next meeting will be held Tuesday, September 1, 2020 8:00-10a.m. Lorraine will facilitate the meeting

Reopening Committee Meeting 9/1 Minutes

Attendance: Lynn Botfeld, Natalie Giambra Pignataro, Carla Aman, Deborah Villanueva, Kenneth Spector, Lorraine Cruz, Stephanie Santiago, Daryl Forde, Katterina Reinoso, Nicholas Bologna, Sabrina Gisone, Francisca Garcia-Ruiz

Lorraine began by reviewing the agenda.

Minutes

The minutes were reviewed.

Stephanie asked to clarify hand sanitizing procedures. Hands will be sanitized once upon entering the building and then again upon leaving the staircase, before entering the classroom.

Lynn wanted to amend minutes to say approximately 200 remote students and approximately 300 hybrid students, rather than those exact numbers.

The team voted to approve the minutes with the amendment described above.

Arrival and Dismissal Procedures

Arrival times and DIsmissal times-Lynn needs to discuss with Francisca, who is the UFT representative, whether a SBO vote is needed to start the day before 8AM, but she would like to start with planning time for all teachers between 7:40 and 8:10AM.

305 campus building:
Kindergarten will enter at 8:10-through exit 6 from the schoolyard and go up to the second floor, without

passing through the lobby.

Second grade will enter at 8:20-from door closest to Seneca Ave. and Stanhope St., by the kitchen, and go up to the third floor.

First grade will enter at 8:30 and use exit 6 from the schoolyard and proceed to their classrooms.

At the end of the day, dismissal will be staggered as well, BRT (building response team) will assist K. Teachers who have already dismissed will assist with the dismissal of other grades

During arrival, teachers whose classes haven’t arrived yet and out of the classroom people will assist with arrival.

Lynn would like to dismiss all students into the schoolyard, but social distancing is a concern. We discussed dismissing to the cafeteria during inclement weather.

Nick suggested social distancing markers for the school yard, 8 for students on one side, and 8 for parents on the other side, children would come out and stand on their spots, while parents waited at the gate. Then parents would be allowed in to stand on a social distance marker and pick up their child.

There was discussion about whether the playgrounds will be open or closed after dismissal. Lynn was going to speak to the custodians about this, but the playgrounds will not be used during dismissal.

Late pick-up in 305-students will sit socially distanced in the lunchroom. Parents will come to the exit on Seneca Ave near Stanhope street. Staff will be there to assist the parent and send the child to them.

TRS Campus Building:

8:10 start time for all students

Grade 3-will enter on Dekalb Ave, through exit 4

Grade 4-will enter on Stockholm St., through Exit 2

Grade 5-will enter through exit 3, middle of the yard

Pre-K-main entrance

Dismissal:
Pre-K will go out earlier than the rest of the grades and use the yard

5 will dismiss via exit 2, the side door by Stockholm St.

3 will come down the stairs closest to Dekalb Ave to the schoolyard and utilize social distancing markers

4 will come down the middle staircase to the schoolyard and utilize social distancing markers

Late pickup-social distancing markers along the first floor hallway starting by the nurse’s office/main office. Parents will come to the front door and staff will call the child.

Opening Week Plans:

We discussed whether to start with week 0 or week 1. The team voted to start with week 1. Lynn will share our opinion at SLT, where a decision will be made.

#305MaskChallenge:

The team was asked to submit videos to Ken of their children completing the mask challenge.

Next meeting:

Thursday 9/3 8-10 AM

Reopening Committee Meeting Thursday 9/3

Attendance: Lynn Botfeld, Francisca Garcia-Ruiz, Katterina Reinoso, Darryl Forde, Nashira Lynton, Deborah Villanueva, Stephanie Santiago, Kenneth Spector, Carla Aman, Lorraine Cruz, Nicholas Bologna, Sabrina Gisone, Natalie Giambra Pignataro

The meeting began with Lorraine reviewing our agenda.

The team decided to continue without reviewing the minutes from Tuesday’s meeting. We will review both sets of minutes at our next meeting.

New Class Supply Lists

Students really cannot share supplies.
Some essentials may be crayons, pencils, markers, notebooks.
We looked at supply lists in google drive.
Francisa suggested including a small note to parents about donating extra items, if they are able to.
Lynn asked the parents on our team to reach out to other parents about what could be a realistic budget for school supplies.
Lynn thinks that headphones are a very important supply this year.
Lynn wants teachers to meet about this on Tuesday, 9/8. An email will be sent to teachers asking them to meet to adjust the supply list. They can meet via zoom after teaching assignments are given.

How we will let families know about the times/exits of their child’s grade?

It was suggested to have another parent meeting and for the information to also be communicated via email.
Robocalls could go out telling the parents about the meeting.
School aides may be able to come in earlier than the 10th and help make a parent email list.
It was also suggested that we make posters with arrival and dismissal information to display on the entrances, exits, and fences, as well as the school website. Ken agreed to work on that, but he needed some pictures and information.

Nick suggested including a diagram.
Debbie and Ken shared a document with information about the opening of school that will be displayed on the school website.
Team members asked if the document could include hyperlinks, but that is not possible with the technology on our current website.
We will put a reminder on the website asking parents to scroll down for more information.
We plan on changing to a new website by 12/31.
Ken agreed to take down some things that are no longer relevant from the website.

#305maskchallenge

There have been very few responses for the mask challenge.
Lynn wants us to be able to move on to other behaviors before school starts.

An email will be sent to staff asking them to make a video about wearing their mask. In the video, they should show how they look without their mask, how they put it on, and talk about how long they can wear it for. Staff will also be asked if they have young children who can make a video about how long they can wear their mask for and share it.
Debbie will reach out to some parents to participate.
Once teachers have class assignments, they can also reach out and encourage their students to participate.

Future Meetings:

The team voted to have the next meeting on Tuesday 9/8 at 7pm

  • Class Dojo
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube